hybrid grid tie [RE-wrenches]

steve at windandsun.co.uk steve at windandsun.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 08:15:17 PST 2004

We've just installed a system here in the UK using a 4.5kW Sunny
Island inverter run from a 48V battery bank to create an islanded grid.
We have then connected to this a 1.28kWp PV array using a Sunny
Boy 1100E and a 2.5kW wind turbine with a Windy Boy SWR 2500.
This enabled us to site the wind turbine about a quarter of a mile from
the farmstead where the battery bank is based whilst using affordable
cable down from the windturbine.
The whole system works great.
Since everything is coupled on the AC side wind, PV and Sunny island
inverter outputs can be added together to power the loads so in the
right weather conditions this allows loads of up to 8kW to be run
without the back-up generator being started.
I'm hoping to write up the system for Home Power soon as we've got
some great pictures!

I don't think the Sunny Island is available in the US yet so this won't
help you, but in principle the same thing should bepossible with an
Outback (or Trace SW?). It'd be good to know if anyone has tried.

Steve Wade
Wind & Sun Ltd

Keith Cronin wrote:

> Hello Wrenches
>
> Here is a situation I need help with. I have a client who wants grid
> tie and battery back up. The location for the array will be on a
> garage approximately 260 feet away. It will be 20- 160 watt modules.
> The inverters/batteries/control center will be in the main house
> basement. Is it appropriate, due to the huge voltage drop and cost of
> 4/0 wire, to install a sunnyboy 2500 at the garage, and feed the
> output of the Outback stacked inverter system? I think I could avoid
> buying a charge controller and save some dough, and also save $ on the
> wire run. It will accomplish the goal of battery backup, which the
> client desires. Will this work? Anyone tired or thought of this
> application?
>
> Thanks
>

> Keith Cronin
>
> President
>
> Island Energy Solutions Inc
>
> 318A Kuulei Rd
>
> Kailua, HI 96734
>
> 808-262-3268 Tel
>
> 808-263-0338 Fax
>
> www.islandenergy.net

> - - - -

> List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

> Hosted by Home Power magazine

Wind & Sun Ltd., Humber Marsh, Stoke Prior,
Leominster, Herefordshire, HR6 0NE.
Web: www.windandsun.co.uk

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com