Plain-pack dry run pump switch..... [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Wed Jan 14 08:20:03 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
John,

Wet-electrode probes require specific electronics. If not supplied in
an otherwise-appropriate pump controller, forget that.

Mechanical float switches are available on the general pump market,
but will not fit into a small-diameter drilled well casing.

On the USA market, we have pressure switches with a low-pressure
cutout option, designed to stop a pressurizing pump if the pressure
drops near-zero. You have to hold a lever to start/restart it. They
are fine for centrifugal pumps but not for positive displacement
pumps because they hold pressure up even when running dry.

There is nothing available that plumbs into a pipe.

Those are the options. If you can describe the application, I can
advise further.

Doug Pratt said:
>If the pump actually IS a Shurflo 9300 (rather than being "like" it),
>don't even worry about dry running. The mfg sez a bit of dry running
>isn't a problem unless you do it for more than a couple
>months...continuously. This pump just isn't bothered by dry running.
>
>If you're running something "like" the 9300...say the new Dankoff
>Mini-ETA, it comes with a dry run sensor...um...I think. The full-size
>ETA pump does. Correct me if I'm wrong here Windy.

Shurflo or similar diaphragm pumps can tolerate dry run but diaphragm
and brushes will still be worn by the action, so you are right to
prevent it if you expect it to happen to a significant degree.

And yes Doug, our ETAPUMP Mini comes with a dry sensor, same as the
full ETAPUMP.

Windy

>Hi All,
>
>Any ideas for a "dry run" switch set-up for 12/24v water pumping.
>
>Nothing fancy, just something like 2 or 3 probes/sensors and some
>means of on-off control, with or w/o a maximiser.   But preferably
>not battery-backed.
>
>Is there anything off the shelf that can be easily obtained?
>
>                             thanks,                John V

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm