PVs on tower [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design clrwater at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 8 09:22:09 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hi Kelly,

I don't think any of us were saying it couldn't be done or that it
was an inherently bad idea.  I used to live and work in Oly and Yelm,
WA and shading due to 100' firs was always a hassle for siting PV so
yes it's a great solution!

We were just being good colleagues and making sure you didn't just
take a wind tower and throw some PVs up on it without doing the
engineering.

Obviously you guy are way on top of that.  I think it's great you are
getting dual function out of the tower and moving the industry
forward in creative solutions!

Have a great time installing it!  It'll be a pretty sight!

Best,

Jeff C.
Village Power Design

>Hi Jeff,
>
>Kelly and I are working together on the same project. It will be the
>wind and PV project for SEI's NW workshops in October of this year.
>
>I'm surprised that there's so much concern over this. It seems to me
>that it's an engineering problem, and tower manufacturers have to
>deal with this all the time. That's been proven in our contact with
>these companies. They can engineer for whatever loads we specify,
>and have no trouble supplying a tower for the wind generator and PV
>array we are planning. This project is going through the local
>permitting process (!), so it will be fully engineered for our local
>winds.
>
>Kelly's recent question was about tilt angle and a compromise we
>were considering to make mounting easier and keep the array compact.
>Our original plan was to lay the modules out in a tall, narrow
>arrangement on the tower, but if they were tilted, we'd have to
>spread them much higher than we preferred to avoid them shading each
>other. We've recently decided to go with a wider layout, and to tilt
>the modules to the optimum angle, and space them to avoid shading.
>This is still under discussion, but the rough plan is to have the
>modules between 50 and 100 feet on the tower.
>
>In our part of the country where 100 to 150 foot trees are the norm,
>siting PVs up high is a great solution. Many people put small arrays
>in trees, and larger arrays on high poles or multiple-story home
>roofs. Putting this large of an array on a tower is a new
>experience, but I feel that it's a strategy that will be copied by
>others because it makes lots of sense here. The cost of the tower
>increases with the additional wind loading, but that cost is
>recouped in the increased solar window. In wind generator
>installations, the purpose of the tower is to get the collector up
>into the fuel. It serves the same purpose in this case with the PVs.
>
>Best,
>
>Ian
>

>>Hi Kelly,
>>
>>Did you follow the thread that Ian started on this same subject
>>last year?  A number of us chimed in with some serioius concerns
>>about mounting PVs on a wind tower.
>>
>>I just wanted to make sure you hadn't missed that discussion.  You
>>could check the archives (11/15-11/16 - "Tubular Towers & PV
>>Mounting").
>>
>>Keep us up to date with how that project goes!  Sounds like a fun one!
>>
>>Best,
>>
>>Jeff C.
>>Village Power Design
>>
>>>Kurt & Wrenches,
>>>Thanks. The PV Watts calculator confirms my efficiency assumptions for the
>>>steep angle.
>>>
>>>Has anyone used the Sanyo modules, or have comments about 'em?
>>>
>>>-Kelly

>--
>
>Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden at homepower.com>, Senior Editor
>Ashland, OR 97520 USA
> [...]

Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
http://www.villagepower.com
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village

Office:  (413) 256-6777,  Cell: (720)480-8455
Fax:  (413) 825-0372
61 Baker Road
Shutesbury, MA 01072;
PO Box 115
Boonville, CA  95415
(707) 895-9015
Fax: (707) 897-0224

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Advisory Board - Living Routes - Ecovillage Education -
http://www.livingroutes.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com