PVs on tower [RE-wrenches]

Ian Woofenden, Home Power ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Thu Jan 8 08:49:52 PST 2004

<x-flowed>

Hi Jeff,

Kelly and I are working together on the same project. It will be the
wind and PV project for SEI's NW workshops in October of this year.

I'm surprised that there's so much concern over this. It seems to me
that it's an engineering problem, and tower manufacturers have to
deal with this all the time. That's been proven in our contact with
these companies. They can engineer for whatever loads we specify, and
have no trouble supplying a tower for the wind generator and PV array
we are planning. This project is going through the local permitting
process (!), so it will be fully engineered for our local winds.

Kelly's recent question was about tilt angle and a compromise we were
considering to make mounting easier and keep the array compact. Our
original plan was to lay the modules out in a tall, narrow
arrangement on the tower, but if they were tilted, we'd have to
spread them much higher than we preferred to avoid them shading each
other. We've recently decided to go with a wider layout, and to tilt
the modules to the optimum angle, and space them to avoid shading.
This is still under discussion, but the rough plan is to have the
modules between 50 and 100 feet on the tower.

In our part of the country where 100 to 150 foot trees are the norm,
siting PVs up high is a great solution. Many people put small arrays
in trees, and larger arrays on high poles or multiple-story home
roofs. Putting this large of an array on a tower is a new experience,
but I feel that it's a strategy that will be copied by others because
it makes lots of sense here. The cost of the tower increases with the
additional wind loading, but that cost is recouped in the increased
solar window. In wind generator installations, the purpose of the
tower is to get the collector up into the fuel. It serves the same
purpose in this case with the PVs.

Best,

Ian

--