puzzling performance [RE-wrenches]

mlafferty at universalenergies.com mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Sun Jan 4 19:54:25 PST 2004

Bill B wrote:

> it remains the best program in the U.S. as far as performance because
> they are the only incentive program that actually checks every system

Bill,

Happy New Year!

What is this?  Bait?  Do you just miss hearing from me, or what?  LOL

The terms "best", "performance", and "checks every system" are
subjective, no?  What constitutes "best"?  "Performance"?  "Checking
every system"?

I personally know of no broad "checking of every system", especially in
terms of performance (i.e. actual ac kwh production), that has been
undertaken by LADWP.  Conversely, over the same time period LADWP has
had a "program", SMUD has "checked every system"... Not just via
"inspections" (I'm with you regarding the arguability of their
completeness) but also by requiring and supplying production meters.

These meters are read each month, at no cost to the PV owner.
Production is recorded and compared to the stated "rating" of each
system, corrected for orientation and slope.   When measured production
falls below approximately 85% of the "expected" output on "SMUD
supplied" systems, service techs are dispatched to evaluate and repair,
if necessary.

Absent "statistics" to support the following statement, I will
nevertheless assert that a majority of "underproducing" systems have
been found to be "producing as expected".  Much goes into this... Data
Entry and Meter Reading errors lead the pack, not unlike the trend of
"unexpectedly high bill complaint" investigations.

Another significant factor has been found, I'm on that familiar limb of
pissing off a bunch of people that need to rethink their specs and
marketing here, to be over-rating of modules and "systems" by
manufacturers... Either that or all the 30 Year Weather Data is
completely irrelevant...  Which one do you believe?  Even factoring in a
conservative 10% degradation in surface insolation over the last 10
years....You and I talked about this possibility four months ago...

I guess it comes down to "learning from experience"... Somehow
combining, in a "politics-free zone", the aggregate information then
formulating a model for the future.  I will not stand here saying "This
program or that program is better" since they have all had value, even
if they don't continue.

The larger question, for me, is this:  What can we learn from past
experience?  How can we use this information to build a better tomorrow?

Divisiveness won't provide unity.  Segregation, in and of itself, should
be relegated to a form of punishment... One which is, ideally applied, a
deterrance to irresponsible actions.

Two cents and a Lotto Ticket,

Matt Lafferty
mlafferty at universalenergies.com