Pulse DC Breaker Question [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Dec 15 22:24:56 PST 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacVmibz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

Wrenches,
I am preparing a design for  a system upgrade and need some help with the
Pulse Powercenter. The system is for an existing earthship that was built as
a duplex with a shared power system--jeez, these things are hard to work
on/in. The house has one efficient occupant now, but will soon have three
total, plus home business needs, and they want to go from the existing 720
watts of PV to about 4,000 watts. I am looking at two large new arrays wired
at 48 V, each feeding an MX60 and a 24V battery bank. There's an existing
SB50 upgrade on the original array.

The Powercenter is a Pulse PSC500. This unit has five DC breaker spaces for
Heinemann CF panel-mount breakers--that's all. There's a separate QO load
center for multiple 24V DC load breakers. Raising the system voltage is not
a realistic option at this time, and there's very little wall space for
adding big boxes.

Questions:
--How do we add the breakers for two additional charge controllers?
--If we add a 60A Class R fuse for AIC protection on the loads, can I free
up one breaker space by backfeeding a 60A QO for a main DC load breaker in
the DC load center? (I know QO are marginal at 24V per John Wiles, but this
is an existing installation, so this is just a modification; besides, I'm OK
with QOs on the load side as being always safely below 50V per NEC.)
--Could we add a GJ175 next to the existing GJ250 for the SW4024, call it a
charge controller disconnect, and use the tap rule to run multiple
conductors to the three controllers?
--Anyone else make a narrower breaker that's suitable for this application?
Or a small separate enclosure to fit half a dozen 80VDC rated breakers?
--And what's the diff between a PSC500 and a PC500?

As usual, thanks for the collective knowledge.
Allan @PosE

Free Thanksgiving recipes for you
http://click.topica.com/caacVmgbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com