More Trouble with SW+ [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Nov 30 12:43:52 PST 2004

Attention Women! Win a $50,000 Ultimate Makeover! Become the
newest “Hottie” on the block. Or use the $50,000 how you wish.
Make it yours below!
http://click.topica.com/caacR6Pbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Vente

Hi Wrenches;

I'm having trouble again with an SW2524+. It is  an earlier (2003 vintage)
model, that I installed in May of this year. It worked fine (except the
search mode didn't work in the 8 watt setting) We have now added a new
Yamaha Inverter Generator EF3000i.  When we start the generator, AC2 blinks
on, and I have confirmed 120 VAC at the inverter AC input. The problem
begins after 30 seconds, when the inverter begins battery charging.
The  bulk charge light comes on for about a second, the generator doesn't
lug down or anything, but then it trips the generator's overload circuit.
We set the AC in on the inverter down to 5 amps it doesn't make a
difference. We also tried using AC1 input, and it did the same thing.
We thought we might have a defective generator, but it charges a DR2424 now
in the same system just fine. We also used this generator with an electric
vehicle charger, and it was able to deliver almost 2400 watts to the
batteries (not bad for 7000 ft altitude). The same week, we set up another
Yamaha EF3000i with a newer vintage SW4024+. It works great and actually
delivers 10 more amps (24 vdc) than a Honda EU3000.
Now the story twists, I sent the SW+ to the Xantrex service center at
Direct Power in Albuquerque. They tested it and found that with grid power
it charged fine. Also, the search mode works fine now too. SO, do I have a
glitch in the early software/ firmware on the SW+ (my belief), or is it a
faulty generator, or am I a moron and wired something wrong? (unlikely
since we used the same wiring with the DR and it all worked fine).
These SW+ have been hard to deal with, and I'm not going to sell anymore.
The good old DR series works great, can take all kinds of abuse, is cheap,
and....I have almost no complaints related to the Mod sine wave output.
Also, anyone who had followed the voltage sag saga of the SW + from a few
months ago, here's an update.The original SW2524+ would blink its voltage
as low as 85 VAC under about a 2000 watt inductive surge (a worm drive
circular saw) It was decided that it was the impedance of the transformer,
and Xantrex graciously upgraded the unit to an SW4024+ at no charge. The
SW4024+ under the same load dips to about 105 vac. Lights still blink off,
but not for near as long, a definite improvement. Battery volts never dip
below 24. Xantrex said this is the same transformer as on the old SW series
and so the sag should be the same. I haven't had a chance to test  the volt
sag on one of the old SWs. I never noticed lights blinking, etc. on heavy
inductive loads before though. Is this common and I just never caught it
before?

Thanks,

Ray Walters
ray at solarray.com
President, SolarRay, Inc.
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
BS Mechanical Engineering, UT Austin 88
Returned US Peace Corps Volunteer

Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
http://click.topica.com/caacQ4Sbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com