RE Incentives Repost [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Nov 2 13:28:47 PST 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacOlKbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

Fellow Wrenches,

I have got to try once more here...On 10/25 I posted the request for
assistance below. I received many requests for copies of my
performance-based incentives piece (all of which were sent; let me know if
you were lost somewhere), but no responses to my info request. Please: Bob
Maynard, Bob-O,the Matts, and anyone else in an incentivized state... help
me guide New Mexico into doing the best job for its citizens and its solar
industry. Following is a repost of my original request.

Thank you,
Allan at Positive Energy

In January of 2003 I posted a request here for ideas on what an ideal state
incentive plan would look like to promote solar in general and PV in
particular. [The key questions in that request were: "What would make up an
ideal incentive package: one that is effective, that discourages the abuses
of the seventies, that keeps us independents in business, that is sized and
capped properly, that is easy to publicize, and that provides quantifiable
results? I would like to hear your  suggestions, and if a discussion might
arise out of this request, great! I will prepare a distillation of the
comments received to take to this meeting, and will make it available to
this list as I have once or twice on other topics."]

I got some great responses. I focused on the value and importance of
production-based incentives rather than up-front rebates. I have recently
edited these comments down to about three pages, and will send them to
anyone who requests a copy off-line at allan at positiveenergysolar.com
(Request a read receipt, as my spam filter is set way up).

I took the material to that meeting in January 2003 and nothing happened.
But this year, the Guv's office has set up a collaborative Distributed Solar
Task Force to develop the basis for legislation for incentive programs. I'm
on that Task Force, and on a smaller sub-group focusing on local/in-state
incentives. It's the latter that I am requesting help with.

My specific request, presented as several closely related questions:
1. How can we structure state PV incentives to benefit local ownership, and
keep out-of-state companies from horning in?
2. How can the New Mexico renewable energy industry in general structure
itself for greatest local economic benefit?
3. What are the obstacles to this structuring?

Thank you for any good answers. Know that your responses may actually make a
difference in the structure of NM incentives. Already, it looks like at
least a partial production-based structure is in the works.

I will have other questions to ask in upcoming weeks, like how to easily
measure production with battery-based systems and even off-grid systems
(which will be included, I think). But that's another subject for another
day.

Allan Sindelar
Positive Energy

Free recipes to get you in shape