internet -satellite [RE-wrenches]

Dan Duffield dand at directpower.com
Mon Aug 23 13:15:33 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacvgpbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

Regarding

Wrenches,

I would appreciate suggestions, experiences, preferences, etc. comparing
Starband and Direcway satellite internet providers and hardware, as we
prepare to purchase a system for our offgrid home. Thanks in advance.

Allan at Positive Energy

Hello Allen,

I bugged Starband for years, at least since Apple Macintosh operating
systems went to Unix (version 10.0 and above) to provide a package to
allow me to connect MAC or a Pentium Class PC without a dedicated PC
server, when they did they wanted over $160.00/month. I bided my time. I
wanted to save energy and only use one computer at a time.

 I have had a positive experience with the Direcway DW6000 Modem that
uses a ethernet connection set-up as a local area network. I have both a
Pentium computer and a Macintosh G5  computer and I didn't want to pay
the high prices that starband wanted to be able to hook up both types of
computers without using a PC as a server.

I have done many throughput tests using the website
www.toast.net/performance  and my throughput is usually between
700Kb/sec and 1110Kb/sec. This compares with DSL at 1200Kb/sec to
1800Kb/sec and Cable modems which seem to be fastest, averaging around
2100Kb/sec to 2800Kbits/sec. These numbers can vary widely depending on
traffic for the time of day.

One note on the DirecWay DW6000 modem, if you are like me, when I am
through using the computer room I would turn off the power strip power
to all the devices. DirecWay recommends that you leave the unit on 24/7
which I don't. The DirecWay modem needs to be on & up and running for 15
seconds (till four of the five blue led's on it have lit up) before you
start your computer. I found that if you turn both the computer/PC on
and the modem at the same time, the modem can get confused and won't
work (transmit) through the LNB and your web applications such as email
and browser won't link to the complementary server at the other end.

I had to call tech support and go through a special re-registration
re-start procedure which was no fun at all on a cell phone and it took
about 50min including re-downloading the modem software from the
satellite again and verification of me and the equipment as authentic,
etc

I found that a power strip like device that used to be popular solved my
problem. My monitor sits on this very short box which is actually a
power strip, save that it has one master switch and all of the other
individual outlets-that you can plug into - have individual switches on
the front. When I sit down I just turn on the switch that controls the
modem wait 15 seconds for my modem to light and then turn on the switch
that corresponds to the PC power supply.

I was also told initially that if I ever unplug the dual RG-6 coaxial
cables ( let's say for moving my computer to another room or desk) do
not power up the modem without these cables connected (modem unloaded).

I chose to go with EarthLink as my isp (who leases this technology from
DirecWay),  direcway's basic service is 10.00 cheaper per month than
EarthLink.

So far it has been very easy and quite fast.

The dish fits on a 2.0 inch I.D. pole, if you use a cement base and do
this work prior to the installer visiting your site.

 I have done two satellite TV installs myself previously, but DirecWay
must use a FCC trained tech do the set-up/ install which is required.

hope this background is a help

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacvgtbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/MyDietPatches

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com