120/240 VAC inverter bypass system [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Jul 30 16:25:18 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacpgjbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

William Miller wrote:
> This is a two SW installation.  Agreed, transferring individual legs is
> not the best alternative, but with the complicated switching required to
> remove the inverters while bypassing them-- well I don't know how else
> to accomplish this in two interlocking poles.  Anyone else got any
> better ideas?

Here you go - you simply use three 2-pole SquareD breakers and one
interlock mechanism - there is a color wiring diagram on the OutBack
website specifically on this configuration.

http://www.outbackpower.com/pdfs_wiring_diagrams/AC-IOB-60D.pdf

With this configuration you can bypass the inverter but still let it
charge from the AC source (i.e. generator).  Its a great trick when some
load causes the inverter to drop the generator each time it kicks on -
you might loose battery charging for a minute each time but the AC loads
stay on the generator - good limp mode capability for what usually is a
bad generator and not actually an inverter issue.

This dual bypass system doesn't solve all the issues but is certainly
better than using two separate bypasses.  The remaining issues are in
the software of the inverter themselves and can't be fixed externally.

We have several systems installed now with up to 10 OutBack inverters
stacked (5 per phase - 120/240 vac - 36 kVA) with a single 120/240 VAC
bypass switch arrangement.  For these big systems we use a separate 200+
amp ON-OFF-ON type manual AC transfer switch as the bypass... much
cleaner wiring than this loop-around trick with breakers and interlocks.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Extraordinary stories,
ordinary people. Share your memories today!
http://click.topica.com/caacpgMbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/AARP

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com