Outback Inverters / 100 amp bypass [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Apr 13 11:09:15 PDT 2004

Your opinion counts! We’re conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
http://click.topica.com/caab6Pibz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Val Rad
I talked with Robin and he has redesigned the 100 amp bypass assembly to
allow the use of the screw down mounting clips along with the DIN rail
mounting.  The openings in the sliding plate have also been modified to
improve the operation - the existing one was really designed for the 60
amp version - which is similar but not identical. The new parts have
been ordered and will be available upon request at no charge for anyone
who wishes to upgrade any existing PSAC-100Q systems. Contact Robin
directly here at OutBack...

The purpose of the breaker interlock is really to prevent both of the
breakers from being turned on at the same - not to operate as a true
"fast transfer switch". Switching it with the generator off is a good
idea - but I am not sure why the customer needs to be switching it at
all - its really for a servicing/failure bypass situation and not normal
daily operation???

Even if you somehow did manage to turn them both on the results are not
catostrophic... typically you will just get a backfeed error (unless you
are Matthew Tritt...).

Windstream Solar-Gary wrote:
> Robin and I discussed options, including a wider mounting bracket that
> will accommodate the clips that come with these larger breakers. This
> would help with the mechanical stability of the 100 amp breaker
> assembly, but it still may not cure the problem with the whole switching
> assembly working right. The mechanics here seem challenging--though I am
> hopeful that Outback will come up with a much better version and provide
> it to those of us who have versions that don't work.

Thanks - once again - the feedback we get makes the products better.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com