MX 60 into power panel [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Mon Mar 15 11:43:47 PST 2004

There was a code corner on this a few issues back - John Wiles pointed out
that while Trace could bolt a lug onto the breaker in the factory with ETL
listing etc, this same thing COULD NOT be done in the field.  He gave no
apologies for the logical inconsistency, but pointed out that doing so in
the field was modifying the equipment (breaker) and (as was mentioned on
this list) might open you up to liability.

Same logic/policy applies to trace's ability to use the battery disconnect
between the bats and c-40 to satisfy NEC (danger of over voltage to inverter
by open circuit PV not withstanding) -

While I too am guilty of installing a battery positive bus and taping the
back bolt (what a pain in the ass by the way - even more in a retrofit - all
praise the PSDC!) His workaround was to use a well wrapped split bolt or one
of those slick insulated multicable connector blocks (NSI Polaris) at the
battery cable, with the cable going straight through - even mentioned
ampacity issues and the "free air" ampacity of the 1/2" length of
uninsulated wire between the nut and the breaker.

To avoid removing the breaker, losing the tiny nuts you cant get to to
tighten them anyways, breaking the UL listing and giving the lawyers
something to do AND save about an hour of field install time, I'd recommend
the "connector block to a breaker to MX-60 to breaker to PV"  route.

PS - if this post shows up in your mailbox with "REwrenches" in the from or
sender box, I apologize.  I am trying to get Topica to help me change this.
I get the list in digest form and the post to it through outlook.  If anyone
else has already been through this then give me a holler...

Sincerely,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701