OutBack MX60 absorption time period and end amps setting [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Feb 23 18:28:24 PST 2004

Allan Sindelar wrote:
>I suspect that the MX60 accomplishes the same result via use of a timed
>absorption function that correlates to time spent in bulk, in order to
>minimize absorption time when charging from a full battery, but I
>haven't lived with one long enough yet to observe the results (I have
>both controllers side by side in my system now, with a transfer switch
>to let me flip back and forth. I'll post comparative observations
>eventually.)

The OutBack MX60 includes several different ways to battery minimize
water consumption from excessively long absorption charging periods.

The MX60 includes both an adjustable timed absorption period and a "END
AMPS" method - they can be used together even. The time absorption is
the maximim time it will absorb - the END AMPS can be used to force a
transistion to float sooner. The default settings of the MX60 provide
for a timed absorption period only.  The default time is 2 hours (it is
adjustable from 0 to 4 hours).  There also is minimum absorption time
period setting as well - it is defaulted currently to zero. This is
useful when charging a small battery with a large PV array that pushes
the voltage up very quickly even though the battery isn't fully charged
yet.

Using only a END AMPS method can be a problem under certain conditions
as it may allow absorbing the battery for too long - resulting in
excessive water usage.  Using multiple control methods handles a variety
of different possible problem conditions.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com