kwh meter workaround [RE-wrenches]

RE wrenches Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Mon Feb 2 09:08:56 PST 2004

Damn-

Now I am completely confused!  And I am wrapping up the AC portion of this
install TOMORROW! Arrrrgggg...

My situation is similar to Doug's:  SW in grid tie with subpanel too.

I have a non-ratheting "form 2-s" meter (rebuilt, cheap, from AEE).  I was
planning on wiring it as per the original instruction, 120 to subpanel on
one leg, 120 from inverter to main panel on the other leg - assuming the
production would be measured in power to sub panel, power to backfeed the
main, and any grid supported or charging losses subtracted or cancelled out
against output (this is a non-ratcheting)...

Now, assuming this won't work  I need to change my plans fast!

Option A: install the unit as simple 120 Volt Kwh meter on AC output to main
only.  (flaw - we don't measure/record the power sent to the sub panel) -
Workaround - a second Kwh meter for this sub panel only- and "addition" by
the customer.

Option B - go with the unknown 5 tab approach and buy a new meter

Option c:?

Sincerely,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701