six motions of the hand [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 27 02:48:35 PST 2003

Hello Wrenches
Thanks for the advice.  I meet with the inspector
today, it was a long meeting.

Here is the system, I am trying to get permission on.
When it is complete it is to have 40+ kW of solar
panels. A battery back-up UPS system for short
outages.   A standby generator to supply the UPS for
long outages.   A 12 kW wind system that is to be grid
tied and UPS tied.  All this equipment is to be grid
tied under normal conditions.

I brought 3 carafes of coffee and jelly donuts, and
cookies.  We went through the code item by item.

Six motions of the hand:
The inspector allowed me to operate 12 breakers handle
tied as one motion of the hand.   This is to shut off
the PV power to the solar equipment.  The battery is
to be a double breaker again this is one motion.   The
generator is on a single 250 amp DC breaker and is one
motion of the hand.  The wind machine is a 12kW, 48
volt, to be installed as a future event, the customer
has the wind machine, I will try to get the
installation, inverter work and balance of system.
The last item is the disconnect to the building normal
grid service.  Which will be handled by a 200-amp
disconnect, and a single motion of the hand.

Grouping:
The inspector wants all of the disconnects to be on
one wall.  Such that they can be seen in case of
emergency and readily accessible.   I tried to get
other placement and argued that code does not say what
grouping means, the inspector said “ at the discretion
of the authority, and that is me.”  Further she said
they have to be labeled and placed on the same wall,
although not necessarily next to each other.

Thanks for the advice
Darryl

http://photos.yahoo.com/

- - - -