six motions of the hand [RE-wrenches]

mlafferty at universalenergies.com mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Wed Dec 24 19:40:29 PST 2003

Christopher F Wrote:

> My understanding of the NEC code is that the DC and AC
> systems are considered as seperate sources of power.
> Therefore - you get 6 "motions of the hand" for each of
> the systems.

All:

Thanks for the kind words, Chris, first of all.  Don't worry about
getting us all an "FX X-Mas Present"... Go for a New Year's Present
instead!

Never one to split hairs on verbiage (who, me???), I will offer a
repeated "Caution" surrounding this topic when dealing with Inspectors,
Code, and Building Departments.

"This is a slippery slope....."

We may all know what we mean when we say "source of power" and
"system"... We may know that they are functionally interchangeable when
used for this conversation.... The NEC DOES NOT!....

A source of power does not necessarily equal a "system" and vice versa.
The NEC does not use the terms interchangeably.

I am from a line of thinking that "non-backup pure grid-tied PV"
applicationers (is that a word?) should erase the term "separate system"
from their vocabulary.... We are "Interactive"... (Stays away from all
the hold-down breaker and confused grounding stuff that way!)

In all fairness, one should not expect to have their cake and eat it
too, even if it is X-mas Eve... In which case, I would expect it to be
pie instead of cake, but in any case, Season's Greetings to all,
regardless of the dessert selected... Just hope everybody got some, no
matter what their beliefs may be... I chose beer, for the record.... LOL

Back to the topic at hand... If you choose to use the "separate system"
approach, be prepared to be held to other requirements of the Code.

If you elect to go with the "Interactive" (Read this as "not separately
derived system") approach, be prepared to meet the related Code
sections.

Due to the diversity of possible system configurations, there isn't a
"one size fits all" answer that I know of... Other implications come
into play, too.  Like your local Inspectors and Building Departments...
Your relationship with them... I'll leave Unions out of it this time...
The variation in your applications, Etc.

Keeping it short for all of our sakes,

Two Palms, A Hammock, & Winning Lotto Tickets for All!

Matt Lafferty
mlafferty at universalenergies.com
(916) 422-9772 Office
(916) 914-2247 Fax