Uber-Tracker Query [RE-wrenches]

Chris Worcester chris at solarwindworks.com
Mon Dec 22 09:52:35 PST 2003

Hi Allen,

We do a lot of large pole mounts here in snow country, and typically use the
backhoe or excavator to set the pole plumb right after the hole is done.
Have some bracing handy to keep the pole plumb until the pour date.

Once we've let the concrete cure for a week or more we'll set up scaffolding
making a large enough platform to build out the array one piece at a time on
the pole top. We use the 5 x 10' scaffold sections, and put them side by
side to make our platform at the desired height. The platform height is
typically 4 to 5' below the top of the pole, for ease of building the
tracker, and all. Typically (2) guys set this up in an hour or two at the
most. Most of you're work is from the bottom on the array, so attaching the
modules, flex conduit, grounding, wiring, combiner box, etc. is easiest done
on the platform.

Maybe you can build a tracker on the ground, however I don't see getting it
adjusted properly for balance and setting the array up, on the ground.

As Darryl said get the adjustable legs for the scaffold and I also plumb and
level it.

Sincerely,

Chris Worcester
Solar Wind Works