Uber-Tracker Query [RE-wrenches]

Tom Simko tom at skylinesolar.com
Mon Dec 22 07:46:24 PST 2003

Allen,
  Form a close friendship with a local boom truck owner/operator. Let him
know he can expect immidiate payment upon completion of work. Check at the
local lumberyard and see what/who their contractors use for setting trusses.
You only need a small boom truck, 8 to 15 ton capacity. Check at the local
steel salvage yard for "pre-owned" pipe, and have it cut to length by their
yard guys if you don't have a torch. In the section of the pipe that will be
in the concrete, cut some holes with the torch, small enough to not weaken
the pipe, large enough to allow the concrete to engage the pipe to prevent
any movement.
 Have your excavation completed, and the concrete scheduled, have the boom
operator swing by the steel yard and pick the pipe up, drive to the job
site, and lift and insert it directly into the pour immidiately after the
concrete truck is outa the way. Have 2 mag levels handy and a couple 2x4
braces to maintain plumb, it won't take much to hold in place once the pipe
is plumb. Have the boom guy come back in a couple days or so and have him
lift the pre wired and assembled tracker array into place (have your rigging
points figured out, you don't want to be doing that while the boom guy is
sittin there idling). Be willing to somewhat work around his schedule, this
can save you money and travel time if he does not have to make a special
trip. This method is very easy, safe and quick. And cheaper then paying your
help for erecting scaffolding, messing with comalongs etc.
 I have used this method the last several years along with my own 17 ton
125' reach boom truck, to erect several freestanding mono pole structures
for both wind and solar (PV and thermal), 65' high for my latest grid tie
AWP 3.6 job, and my own 1200 watt PV AND 6 thermal panel array, all on one
big, used piece of pipe. Its SO easy, I can't imangine doing it the
"armstrong" way anymore. Sure its handy owning the crane, but it'd still be
cost effective to pay for someone elses.

Tom Simko
Simko Crane Service
Skyline Solar

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com