Tubular towers and PV mounting [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Sun Nov 16 20:43:00 PST 2003

Jeff,

I suggested one of the towers I handle to Ian, which actually is not made by
Rohn, but has their own engineers that calc. everything out. This is
required for each application very specifically. As far as I know, this is
not a guyed tower,. A 160' guyed tower would require a huge amount of room
on the ground for the guys - over a football field from anchor point to
anchor point and since they want to stick this baby in the forest I can't
see how that could work. A free-standing monopole of this height will also
need to be quite massive at the base and have a huge foundation block/pad.

Such a tower will cost considerably more than a 3 kW turbine, not to mention
the installation costs and engineering of the tower and foundation