Tubular towers and PV mounting [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design clrwater at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 16 20:26:34 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi Hugh & Matt & Ian,

Well I'll defer to your judgement, Hugh, as you have much more wind
experience than I.   I learned about resonance to close to the hard
way - so I may be overly cautious about it.    However 2-3 KW are
liable not to be attached at just one point on the tower.  If they do
go with a guyed tower then you'd probably want to attach a guy at the
top and bottom of the array attachment points.

And whether it's  freestanding or guyed, I still would still
recommend at least a phone call to the engineers at Rohn.  They've
been really helpful to us on such questions.

Best,

Jeff C.

>At 1:02 AM -0500 16/11/03, Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design wrote:
>>With two loads pushing from the side you can get some complicated
>>resonance action.
>
>If the PV array is located at a guy attachment level then the side
>array will not introduce vibration into the structure either.  All
>that remains is the mass of the array and its effect on tower
>resonance.  Once again, if the array is at a guy level then it is
>hard to see that extra mass at this nodal point would have any
>significant effect.
>
>>- don't guess - hire a structural engineer to stamp this one!
>
>I would say it depends on the customer.  It's an extra expense, and
>in my opinion hardly justified.  But some jobs have plenty of money
>for that sort of stuff.  It's known as covering your @&5#.
>
>If your wind turbine is "maxing out" the tower, then later on
>someone will be looking for an excuse for failures, but the mistake
>was to use a turbine that behaves like that to begin with.
>
>--
>Hugh
>
>in Edinburgh
>http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
http://www.villagepower.com
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village

Office:  (413) 256-6777,  Cell: (720)480-8455
Fax:  (413) 825-0372
61 Baker Road
Shutesbury, MA 01072;
PO Box 115
Boonville, CA  95415
(707) 895-9015
Fax: (707) 897-0224

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Advisory Board - Living Routes - Ecovillage Education -
http://www.livingroutes.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com