Efficient room A/C info request [RE-wrenches]

William Korthof wkorthof at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 2 19:44:48 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
Most of the window AC manufactures offer a range of product
sizes and efficiencies. They all offer "maxed out" 120 volt units;
basically, units with a capacity around 16,000 BTU/hour and a
draw of 11-12 amps @ 120 VAC. These relatively inexpensive
units are designed for 10-20% higher efficiency (~12 SEER) to
get the maximum output from a normal wall socket. That works
out to a 4.7 kW heat removal---in steady state conditions, the
unit would run at ~25% for the application. Not a big energy
penalty.

One or two Outback inverters, or one SW inverter should be
able to handle the combined server + AC load, and would have
the desired built-in AC pass transfer relay. Now, sell a 5 kW
solar array as a way to extend the UPS autonomy for a very
long time.

/wk

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm