A mystery to me..... [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 19 14:34:00 PDT 2003

Hi Daryl
Sounds like it.
Always check batteries with hydrometer. Always wear
goggles when checking batteries.  Always carry Baking
Soda with you when working on batteries.

A dangerous way to check battery connections I found
out is to be charging and to feel the cables if they
are hot.  I did this once found a hot junction,
wiggled it and had a battery explosion.  Hydrogen from
charging made an explosive mixture.  The baking soda
is to clean up after the explosion.  Or to wash off
battery acid.

Another way to check connections is to measure voltage
from Flag to Flag in parallel with jumper when ther is
a load on the system.  This should be millivolts max.

Of course what you are expecting is bad cells or at
least depleated system.  Reciently I serviced a 2400
AH system and found the cells low.  It took 22 hours
with the generator to equalize and fully charge this
bank.

Daryl

http://shopping.yahoo.com

- - - -