Theft-proof installation [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 18 06:17:49 PDT 2003

HI Andy
I think you might need a 2x8 or even 2x10 wall to
recess the SB I think your idea is good.  I would tend
to use two layers of plastic, first Acrylic be cause
of good sunlight resistance and underneath a layer of
polycarbonate, because it has tremendus inpact
resistance.  Both layers should be sunlight listed for
UV resistance.

Have the bottom and top open so that air can flow up
the channel this may be just as good as a surface
mount in the open because the chimney effect will draw
extra air up the space.

Use those one way screws to mount.  Have a remover for
service of course.

Daryl
--- Andy Cochrane <andy at powertripenergy.com> wrote:
> I am designing a solar kiosk for an environmental
> education center here
> on the Olympic Peninsula.  The panels will be on the
> roof and the
> SunnyBoy, Outback DC disconnects, kwh meter and
> educational signage will
> be mounted on the north side of a single wall.
>
> The location is remote and nobody lives at the site.
>  With the
> understanding that you can never completely
> theft-proof anything, does
> anyone have suggestions for at least making
> theft/vandalism as difficult
> as possible?
>
> An idea has been to recess the SunnyBoy into the
> single 2x6 framed wall
> and cover the protruding face with a clear plastic
> case with finned
> sides - similar to how I have seen thermostats in
> public locations.
> Anyone have experience with this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Andy Cochrane