Clips [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 10 18:24:38 PDT 2003

Hi Jeff,
Last Febrary, I asked wrenches about clips and got some good suggestions.
Best regards,
Joel Davidson

Jeff at Global Resource Options writes:
I was thinking a push on style clamp, like the Del City product on page http://www.delcity.net/wiremanagement.html (search for product number 9610 "Body Clip") This is a push on, and has teeth that will dig
into the aluminum to keep it from sliding off (?) Never used one, so don't know for sure, but it looks like the right thing. If I've got to drill and screw, I'll just keep on using short zip screws to hold
down a nylon
tie wrap pad, and then use tie wraps. Yes, we'll get degradation, but from what I've seen, it's as good as any other solution; they all have their problems. And either way I'm "voiding" UL as I'm drilling an
unauthorized hole in the frame.

Nick at Alternative Power Systems writes:
After referencing the Del City Catalog, I noticed that the aluminum wire loom clamps need to be bolted or screwed to the module frames.  This seems like a strong, long lasting solution for wire management,
however, it can not be as quick as the steel clips being discussed.  A three Kw Array can be clipped up in 15 minutes, and most of the wiring is not visible, because it is hidden within the module frames.

Phil at Positive Energy writes:
Well, its not stainless, but Gardner Bender makes an aluminum J shaped clip called the EZ-Cable Clip. Available in 1/4" (i think) and 1/2". Available at finer Home Depot stores near you! The GB clips,
however, can be screwed on the module frame before its set on the rack if you so desire.  Because they are an open J, the wire can be snapped in the
belly. A quick push with a screwdriver on a reverse bend on the belly snugs the strap up to the wire. Kinda hard to describe, but obvious once you have seen one.

Doug Pratt at Real Goods writes:
Someone mentioned that Energy Outfitters and others are offering a "clip" to support and retain the MC cables. We've used neoprene jacketed aluminum wire loom clamps for the past year with good success.
Vendor is Del City, (800) 654-4757.  They also
have a stainless steel version, if you need.  Their part #2808  (2008-9 in stainless) is the perfect size to clamp an MC connector tight. $12.30/100 in aluminum, $27.21 in stainless. (A UV-resistant zip tie
that's going to last 20 years? If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you...) I've gone back to systems after 3 years in the New Mexico sun and seen black "UV-resistant" zip ties snap when touched.
I've also seen the black plastic locknuts that ship with BP module cable glands split into quarters on the same array. Mother Nature always wins.

Ken Hulet
Several companies sell Stainless Steel Cable ties. Panduit Tyton-Hellermann

Jeff Clearwater
Here's how we deal with all those MC wires.  Much better than clips.
http://home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/index.html

Keith Cronin
Slick design!  I have seen this methodology used before using PVC. Never thought it would be applicable with non metallic flex.  I actually like it better because the PVC version made it chilling for future
chaffing!

I personally wish more manufacturers would offer a quality assembly for the marine (Hawaii) environment from soup to nuts.  We really can't use anything outdoors unless it is anodized or stainless.  We can
use hot dipped galvanized, but that needs to be periodically inspected and painted.

I have recently found a company http://www.brisconelectric.com/products.htm
They make stainless steel romex straps.  If you ever decide to start a business here and run romex, you will find out a few days after the last hammering, that the typical zinc staples are rusting and running
a nice Picasso down the wall. It is a chronic issue here.  I am sure for any of the coastal communities.

I am always up for any new products that any of the wrenches are privy to that would help in this "harsh' Hawaiian environment.

Nick Nicholas
 I wanted to mention that I go directly to the APS web site when I click on the link from your e-mail.  I believe that the glitch was not in my site.  Regarding the use-2 wire clips.
        I generally stock 200 wire clips in my store, and I will be re-ordering soon.  I would commit to buy 1,000 clips in the next 6 months, and I would be willing to pay up to $.25 per clip.  If the cost
per unit where higher, I would still consider the purchase.

Phil Undercuffler,
One vendor said he could
> perhaps make stainless steel wire clips if the quantity was right.

Well, its not stainless, but Gardner Bender makes an aluminum J shaped clip called the EZ-Cable Clip.  Available in 1/4" (i think) and 1/2".  Available at finer Home Depot stores near you!

> "Nick Nicholas, APS" wrote:
> I noticed that the aluminum wire
> > loom clamps need to be bolted or screwed to the module frames.
This seems
> > like a strong, long lasting solution for wire management, however, it can
> > not be as quick as the steel clips being discussed.

Yep, that's true.  We stock our truck almost exclusively with hex head tek and sheet metal screws, and while they go in pretty darned quick with a power driver, us laid back New Mexicans probably can't keep
up with a California Framer  ;>)

The GB clips, however, can be screwed on the module frame before its set on the rack if you so desire.  Because they are an open J, the wire can be snapped in the belly.  A quick push with a screwdriver on a
reverse bend on the belly snugs the strap up to the wire.  Kinda hard to describe, but obvious once you have seen one.

Jeffery D. Wolfe
[...]

    I have photos of a systems utilizing this method of wire management. The photos are of systems utilizing the Unirac- Large Array Mounting System (U-LA.)  All of our prepackaged installed systems utilize
either this mounting system or a roof mount system.
 http://www.alternativepowersystems.com/portfolio_f6.html

Jeff Oldham wrote:

> Not one reply to my last post, surely someone knows where to get a deal on the cable to frame clips for TC or USE conductors? I'm aware of just one expensive source, must be better out there. Help please.
>
> thanks,
> -jeff o
>
> >From the Solar, Wind and Hydro powered office of Jeff Oldham

- - - -