c-40 battery charging [RE-wrenches]

Bruce Geddes b.geddes at clear.net.nz
Fri Oct 10 14:21:09 PDT 2003

Hi Greg,
                Yes, large sizes can be a problem and it depends on what
product you have available to you.  I generally supply flooded cells at up
to 1500Ah (C5) but also can get AGM cells to 3000Ah (C10)  With these
options one string does the job.

Fuses are a good way to go to give a degree of protection and have the bonus
of "self correcting" a faulty string without taking the system down.  Sizing
is critical though to ensure close enough protection.

The Australian / New Zealand standard (code) for stand alone power systems
requires a fuse to be fitted to the battery positive terminal but the short
form I have read does not specify what to do with strings.  This is, of
course, to prevent the main DC cables from catching fire if shorted.

In the end, with the added cost of cables, fuses and labour I will stick
with one string.

Cheers,
Bruce Geddes
PowerOn