SW Tripping DC 250 Breaker [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Sep 18 21:54:42 PDT 2003

Travis,
Haven't faced this before. A couple of ideas to consider:
1. Two wire well pumps are much harder to start than three wire pumps, which
include a capacitor-based starting circuit. My Franklin catalog rates both
at 6.8A @240AC running, but locked rotor amps for the 3-wire is 34.2; for
the two-wire it's 40.7. No specific ratings about maximum starting draw. A
pump changeout would probably solve it.
2. You might consider using a T240 as a step-down transformer to draw evenly
from both inverters and thus both GJ breakers. Use a 2P relay on the primary
(240V) side of the T240 to avoid phantom load losses.
3. John Mottl at Rainshadow Solar (360-376-5336) might be able to supply you
with a longer-delay GJ breaker, or have another suggestion.
4. You could build a relay control to temporarily disconnect the AC when the
pump comes on.

Hope this helps.
Allan at Positive E