Millennia panels with Grid Tie [RE-wrenches]

Jason Fisher jfisher at nahbrc.org
Fri Sep 12 05:31:04 PDT 2003

Bill,

I thought BP stopped making Millennia modules some time ago? If you have
some to install, I hope they are your old stock and/or you got a good price
for them.

I've installed way too many of these over the years since they were HEAVILY
subsidized in my market and were the exclusive choice of module to be
acceptable for a local rebate program. I stopped selling them for many, many
reasons once we were allowed to use other modules. To my knowledge, only the
STXR is really designed for these modules. I've heard of people using them
on a Sunny Boy, which would make intuitive sense since these can handle a
wider voltage range, BUT this would violate BP's recent "recommendation" to
not connect the units above 48V nominal in series (despite their 600V rating
by UL???). I've had direct experience with the issues surrounding this
concern and it's not pretty. Issues I experienced with these modules made
all of Trace's inverter problems pale in comparison. That all said I know BP
attempted to address the problems and released a re-designed module before
they canned them, though I still believe the voltage issues remained. I
guess the people that bought them will see how well they hold up over the
years.

Take a look at the most recent installation guide for these modules from BP
and read the fine print. Call them if you want confirmation.

Best.

Jason Fisher

Aurora Energy LLC
Annapolis, MD