Inverters for GT with Batteries [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 05:44:24 PDT 2003

--- Chris Worcester <chris at solarwindworks.com> wrote:
> We just set up a grid tie customer with an OutBack
> Power Panel with two FX2548's, X240, and Mate, all
powered up with a Proven WT2500 Wind Turbine
> on an 88 foot tilt up tower. We hooked up 800 amp
> hours of Surrette S530's to run his house  subpanel.

I like this idea, but I am a little slow, so please
make sure I understand.
1) The Outbacks power a subpanel.
2) The batteries power the Outbacks.
3) The wind machine powers the batteries.
4) The grid also powers the batteries by using the
Outback charger capability.

Do the electrical inspectors have trouble with this?
As long as most of the power is from alternatives it
seems to be a good idea. If the alternative sources
are small the battery efficiency will eat up the
savings.

> I consider the OutBack FX's ready for this sort of
> application today, with
> most customers not being able to afford setting up
> systems with too much
> power to begin with. The inverters are using grid
> power to help charge the
> battery bank, and to power up the house subpanel,
> when the batteries are
> low, the only thing missing is the "sell back mode",
> at this time.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Chris Worcester
> Solar Wind Works