NEC question [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Thu Aug 21 08:57:21 PDT 2003

At 04:15 PM 8/19/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>Wrenches,
>
>I want to share a couple of items lifted from the San Luis Obispo County
Planning Departments sheet, titled " Plan Requirements for Solar
(Photovoltaic) Systems.

>As well as stipulating that all work must comply with the applicable
sections of the 1999 NEC, it states "Please note that stand-alone PV
systems must be sized to meet or exceed the actual current demand load on
the system. Show load calculations in accordance with NEC Article 220 to
justify the system size for stand-alone (non grid tied) systems."

>It also states "---- all conductors and cables must be listed and
installed in accordance with their listing. Battery cables and welding
cables are not recognized in the NEC as an approved wiring method."

>It also requires engineering documentation for siesmic and wind loading
for all mounting structures, and ground fault protection - even for systems
not mounted on the house, including stand-alone systems!

>As written, it appears to require overly-large PV arrays, battery cables
that are not battery cables and onerous documentation from builders and
suppliers of array mounting structures. Or am I reading it wrong? Is this
kind of thing happening elsewhere in Solar Land?

>Matt T

Matt:

I am aware of the inflated requirement for system sizing.  I spoke with the
building official whom I guess you are referring to and I believe there may
be room for compromise.  I have been nominated to an appeals board
(ratification pending) and this may be an avenue for change in some of
these unreasonable requirements.  I've had excellent luck clarifying (and
compromising) with the County of SLO on any borderline code interpretation.

I have a good working relationship with the building inspection personnel
in all local jurisdictions.  Here's my strategy:

	I've bent over backwards to do excellent, clean, code compliant work.

	My permit applications are consistent, clean, computer generated-- as
aesthetically pleasing as possible-- much like a client proposal.  My
applications sail through the County.

	I've made myself available to give presentations to local building
official associations.

	I have bit my tongue many times when building officials are slow,
uninformed or just plain wrong.  To start yelling at even building
department clerks will only set my cause backwards.

	I always speak with the inspector the morning of the inspection and offer
to meet on site.  I make sure they have good directions and easy access.  I
have an inspection every week, sometimes two, and there are rarely any
problems or questions. (On the down side, I fear the inspectors are not
looking closely enough at installations.  I want my competition to be held
at the same high standards that the NEC and safety dictate).

Write to me directly and we can discuss a strategy to deal with this.

William Miller

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP10
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 10
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com