neighbors sharing PV charge [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 02:23:56 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
>I thought about using the C-40 in load control mode to float battery
>#1 and then dump the charging current to another C-40 at battery #2.
>But it seems like there might be a better solution.

One solution is to use two c-40 controllers configured as PV
controllers (series control and not load control).  Whoever had the
lower battery voltage would get most of the power at any given time.

If you wanted to prioritise one user, then perhaps the load
controller option would be better.  However putting the c-40 between
two batteries could lead to overload as already noted.  You might do
well to use a blocking diode or charge controller on the first
battery and take the load controlled branch off upstream so as to
limit the current to what the pv can produce.

However you could only set the load control for quite low battery
voltages so it would prevent the first battery going flat.  You could
not set it to charge the first battery before passing charge onto the
second.  Diversion load  mode is very different from load control
mode.  Diversion load control uses PWM switching and has high set
points.  Load control is on/off at low battery voltages.

Another option might be to use a c-40 as a diversion load controller
on the first bank (protected by a blocking diode) and then a second
c-40 in diversion mode at the second battery.

--
Hugh

http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/

- - - -