neighbors sharing PV charge [RE-wrenches]

Bruce Geddes b.geddes at clear.net.nz
Mon Aug 18 20:23:35 PDT 2003

Hi Eric,
            The device that springs to mind would be a dual battery charging
system as used in some mobile homes.  I know these are availble in 12 & 24V
but 48V?

The other solution that may work would be to use one C40 or similar in
diversion control mode, then when battery 1 is charged it will dump into
battery 2.  The problem is diversion control relies on the diversion load to
limit current and a flat battery is a very low impedence and a charged
battery a good current source so the C40 goes up in smoke unless you can
limit current somehow.  You would then also need a diversion controller on
battery 2 to dump once both are charged.

I once looked into this for a customer that wanted to run 2 batteries, 2
inverters and charge from multiple common sources (wind, solar and hydro).
I tried to get info from then Trace about finding a pin on the C40 that
would change state when battery 1 is charged and use this to trigger a
contactor or such but I gave up in the end and split the charge sources.

Good luck and if you find a solution I would be interested to hear of it.

Bruce Geddes
PowerOn