the S-5 solution to standing seam roofs? [RE-wrenches]

EH Roy ehroy at solar-works.com
Thu Aug 14 12:58:20 PDT 2003

Brad,

We have used S-5s on standing seam roofs and have had no problems - flush
mounts only and we put the arrays as close to the ridge as possible to
minimize snow build-up above the array.

We were provided with a recommended torque value for the set screws by our
local source (and we use Lok-Tite on the setscrews). In addition they helped
us out with engineering - they use S-5s for attaching devices to SS roofs to
stop snow from sliding off over doorways etc. and extrapolated the
engineering for that to our applications without issue.

I really like the idea of avoiding roof penetrations and the S-5 has been
helpful with that. If someone had a questionable application, another option
is to bolt horizontally thru the standing seam and goop it - better than a
hole thru the flat section to look for a rafter IMHO. There are some seam
shapes that might require a custom clip other than the S-5.

Regarding galvanic reactions: Our systems have involved painted roofs not
bare galvanized steel so we have not experienced corrosion problems (no salt
spray/marine installations either).

Cheers,
E. H. Roy
Solar Works Inc.