[RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Mon Aug 11 02:12:25 PDT 2003

Marco,
 For clamping to standing seams roofs, here in the UK we have a UK
manufacturer of a special clamp, Kalzip which we have used extensively.
They are quite strong, and I have installed arrays from 12 kW to 100 kW
with thse clips. The top of this clamp provides a solid flat slotted
surface to mount Uni-strut to, and the inside surface of the clamp has a
bonded rubber surface to eliminate corrosion.
 The following link shows you how they are used in fall-arrest systems,
where they are rated to take the sudden jerk of a human body in free
fall. I think this is more pounds per square inch than the strongest
wind.
http://www.coseley.co.uk/resource/safepost.pdf
 The other thing is that the PV modules will be in close proximity to
the roof, so you don't have a lot of area for the wind to get in under
the modules. On a pitched roof, we always like to leave 18 inches or so
below the peak of the roof before we start our first row, to reduce high
wind penetration under the aray.
 Most of our commercial jobs on pitched roofs will include a fall arrest
cable system such as this--we have to be very safety conscious over
here.
 These clamps have a substantial flat surface gripping the seam below
the rounded top edge, not like some cheap ones I have seen where you
have only two flat surfaces trying to compress the rounded bead of the
top seam edge.
 Don't know if you can find them State-side. Anyone?
Cheers,
Robert Warren

What will we do if there is another fuel shortage?
Did you know that there is a pollution free, completely
renewable fuel which you can use right now in your own car?
Don't replace the engine, replace the fuel.
Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com