Twisted Pairs [RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Sun Jul 27 05:03:46 PDT 2003

Windy,
  I always heard that the principle behind twisted pair is that an
induced electrical field in one small section of wire closest to the EMF
field will then get cancelled out by the opposing field it encounters
from the other wire in its pair. This is kind of like having to separate
out the two wires of a cirucit to get your Ampprobe clamp meter around
just one wire to get a current reading.
  As you know, this is considered standard practice in 100 years of
telephone practice, but mainly just in terms of weak RFI and EMF fields.
What we were taught in power electronics was that a signal wire longer
than 50 feet should be shielded or twisted pair, because that is the
half-wave wavelength of a broad spectrum of RFI interference.  To a
certain extent, it will help with weak electrical storms but not ones
not right overhead. The cable industry provides us with a lot of options
for cabling, but usually they prefer to shield heavy cables and earth
the shield. Typically you will see the shield is netting (effectively a
Faraday cage) and the power conductors are spiralled. But spiralling is
not twisting, as all conductors are still paralled. It is worthwhile to
experiment like you were doing, though. Now that you have twisted your
power cables, install them somewhere and see if it makes any difference.
Lighting is pretty unpredictable stuff, though, if it likes a tree as a
good conductor to earth.
 The thing to remember about lightning is that it doesn't have to touch
down: a cloud to cloud strike can induce 200,000 volts into straight
overhead wires like the ones in the utility grid.
  I think if you get a lot of lightning in your area, it is best to have
a dedicated lighting conductor as well as your normal PV framing ground.
The problem is, a lot of metal roofs should have had a lightning
protection system installed when they were first built, but didn't and
so far they have been lucky. Our problem as installers is that we now
have put up a grounded metal structure that attracts lighting more than
before, because before its was a floating ground, and it had a lower
potential. So we are the last ones on the roof, and we will get blamed
for lighting. It is a good idea to forewarn your client when you do a
site survey that circumstances may require the addtional expense of a
dedicated lighting protection system.
Robert Warren

Wrenches,

I have always heard that twisted-pair wires pick up much less induced
current from nearby fields. We all see twisted-pair telephone and
other audio lines designed to reduce AC hum pickup. It seems to be
well-accepted that twisting power wires makes a circuit safer from
lightning-induced surges. R Perez reported in Home Power long ago
that twisting the lines was more effective than shielding, per his
experiments.

I don't understand the principle.

I twisted some wires together for a distance of 150 feet and it was
not easy! I could have divided it into sections and twisted it in
opposing directions in each section, which would have made it very
easy, but since I don't understand the principle, I couldn't assure
that it would be effective.

Can anyone induce some understanding into my twisted mind?

Windy

What will we do if there is another fuel shortage?
Did you know that there is a pollution free, completely
renewable fuel which you can use right now in your own car?
Don't replace the engine, replace the fuel.
Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com