PV north facing in US [RE-wrenches]

Tom Rentz sunwindconcepts at juno.com
Fri Jul 25 11:35:05 PDT 2003

To continue on this thread, (Shady Boy -- good one!)
The Watt Sun tracker does a very good job tracking north/south/east/west, even works at artic circle locations, if you employ the dual tracker model. Of course, cost vs. payback must be calculated for the installation, and large array combinations could prove expensive. But we have one 1800W array (AZ 300) that we certainly are happy with!

Tom Rentz

Our office is powered by the sun and the wind! You can produce your own renewable energy!

http://sunwindconcepts.us

Ph: 360-387-5806 Fax:   360-387-2868

--- William Korthof <wkorthof at earthlink.net> wrote:

There's another variable to this north-facing equation, I think...

Another metric besides annual kWh is annual $$$$----for many
or most customers, $cost and $payback are the "bottom line".

PG&E offers TOU pricing, which is generally the best bet for
E-NET + PV customers. The E7 rate is great----summer peak
"sell" power is worth about 4 times as much as off-peak power.

Consider that a north-facing (or east or west) roof performs
similarly (kWh output) to a south roof in the summer months.
Also, a west roof puts out the most summer on-peak kWh.

So overall, for a PGE customer with E7, west-facing may be
a bit better economically than south, even though the annual
kWh output is 15-20% lower. North facing gets about as much
of the on-peak summer output as south, so even though the
winter output of north-facing approaches nil, the annual value
of north-facing solar arrays in PG&E might not be so bad.

/wk

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com