energy "payback" of PV's [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu Jul 3 11:18:10 PDT 2003

Todd,

As I remember from the late 70's when the "renewable" term was being tossed
around, it originally was referring to trees as a replacement for fossil
fuels when used to produce heat. Trees, if given the opportunity, will
indeed be replaced with another generation of their kind, whereas fossil
fuels are a one-shot deal. PV, wind and hydro were referred to as
"alternative" energy generators, not renewables - a distinction I take pains
to make when dealing with potential customers or people at parties!

WECS and hydro obviously could (considering the jerk's arguments you
forwarded) be considered as "renewables" because of the vastly greater
amount of energy produced versus energy consumed in producing the generator
in the first place. Also, Tom's comments are relevant especially if PV
equipment is produced from energy generated by wind or hydro.

So, does the nay-sayer suggest that we continue using-up fossil fuels
instead of actually doing something to ease the problem?

Matt T