MX60 Max Array Voltage? [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Mon Jun 30 14:00:52 PDT 2003

Ray,

I think in the near term you have a listing issue since it is not listed to
140 volts yet.

Also, the argument that sunlight and cold don't happen together is not
correct. The case in point is a winter cold front that moves through where
the array goes from low irradiance and very low temperatures, to very high
irradiance (even cloud edge effect) still at very low temperatures at 11:00
am (snow reflectance is another problem in some areas of the country).

Breakdown of components can happen in a seconds or minutes--about the time
it takes the array to heat up and lower its voltage. Ultimately it is
Outback's call on whether they feel comfortable with this situation if they
increase their listed maximum voltage, but using the NEC table 690.7 is the
safest bet for not applying too much voltage to your equipment. (42.8V x 3 x
1.25 = 160.5 Volts)

Bill.