MX60 Max Array Voltage? [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters remotech at taosnm.com
Fri Jun 27 17:24:27 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi All, but especially Chris F.;

What is the collective experience with running the MX 60 with a high
voltage array to a 48 vdc nominal battery bank. The manual shows a Voc max
of 140 which looks like I could go with a 72 V nom. array. I'm using 140
watt modules with a Voc of 42.8. Times three puts me at 128.4 Voc at 25C. I
know I need to add some Voc for cold weather, but my experience is that if
the sun is shinning on the modules enough to produce power, it will produce
heat too. I usually have measured about 30 to 40 degreesF higher cell temp
than ambient. I know air speed humidity etc play a part too. Basically, The
lowest temp I would anticipate in good sun would be 20F or -7C. Using
Outback's chart (1% increase inVoc for each 2.5C below 25C) and assuming a
20F warmer module (cell temp=40F = 5C) then I should add 8% to 128.4Voc
which would be a Voc max of  138.7F. Boy that's close.

What happens Chris, if the array does exceed 140Voc? Smoke and fire, or
temporary shut down? Did I mention the array will be over 300 ft away? Now
I know supposedly Voc is open circuit and that means no current therefore
no voltage drop, but wouldn't the meter still see some discernable volt
drop in real world conditions? ( meter has to pull at least a few micro
amps to measure voltage) Is the controller switching the array off
temporarily to check Voc every few seconds? Will the Voc measured at the
controller for this split second really be the same as at the array or
would it be a volt or 2 less?
Also, in the MX 60 Manual, they show a chart with various array voltages
labeled 40, 65, and 95 V Nominal. Is that a misprint and should that be
labeled V at Max Power instead?
We're even considering running two 24 v modules in series with a 12 v of
similar current rating, but the racking and look would be awkward.

Thanks for all input,

Ray
Taos Power

- - - -