cost per kWh [RE-wrenches]

Nick Nicholas, APS APS at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Tue Jun 3 14:02:08 PDT 2003

Hello Travis:
    We install KWH meters on our larger off-grid system.  Today, in our
shop, we are laying out a system which uses a KWH meter for each inverter
stack.
    These KWH meters are extremely useful in evaluating energy usage.
Plenty of manufacturers incorporate amp meters into their inverters, but it
is a little disappointing that we can't reveiw amp-hours on the inverters
inputs and outputs.
    I had a situation last year, in which a customer called me after first
moving into his new home.  He complained that his generator was running
frequently, and he questioned the solar arrays output.  We looked at what we
had estimated that he would be using from the original system sizing.  The
original estimate was for a system which would use 32 KWH in the winter
months and 42 KWH in the summer months.  The customer stopped complaining
when we read the KWH meters, which showed he was using more than 60 KWH per
day in those winter months.  After that, the customer actually adjusted his
usage to meet his original estimate.  Since then, he has only put a few
hours on his generator.
    The customer has quite the solar home.  He built an incredible 7,000 sq.
ft. off-grid home with 2,500 sq. ft. power building, which includes 12 KW of
modules, 4 SW5548 inverters, 30 KW Kohler gen set, 7,080 AH battery at 48
volts (350 KW of capacity.)  Some of the unique features of the system
include audio alarms at residence, ATS back-up of inverter stacks, KWH
meters, Polyphaser lightning arrestors, surge protection, and a custom DC
load center with battery disconnects for both inverters and batteries.
Nick Nicholas

            Nick Nicholas
            Chief of Engineering
            Alternative Power Systems, Inc.