Integrity Vs. Making a living [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Fri May 23 13:29:03 PDT 2003

Allan,

Unisolar, and now Sharp, have programs of the type you're suggesting. I
assume there are others as well. Both of these companies have somewhat
proprietary technology they are trying to ensure will last at least the
length of their warrantees. Some of the other multi-national mega-companies
might have a harder time limiting their potential sales (as they would view
it) by initiating similar programs. After all, module manufacturers are
mainly interested in keeping up volume to keep production costs at a minimum
and, thereby, cost to the consumer lower.

Take Powerxxxxx for example; they buy huge quantities of modules
factory-direct and are responsible for some pretty crappy installation work.
Does that stop the factories from selling to them? No way. Are the
installers trained properly? Not from the looks of some of their work, but I
bet they've been trained regardless.

Currently, if a component fails in the field, distributors and manufacturers
seem pretty careful about warranty replacements (from my experience anyway)
and are loathe to replace something that shows evidence of poor installation
quality or mis-handling. I somehow doubt that, considering the international
scope of the big manufacturers, they would ever be able to certify every
installer. On the other hand, they seem to charge plenty (!) to become
certified, so maybe they could be persuaded from the standpoint of simply
making more $$$$$$.

As for distributors that tend to treat their dealers like they don't really
care, change distributors! It seems like many of the people distributing
these days originally were buying from some other distributor to start with,
so you'd think that they would be a bit more sensitive to the problems faced
by their dealers!

Matt T