Integrity Vs. Making a living [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 17:32:45 PDT 2003

Ray,
By distributor, do you mean someone who buys parts wholesale and resells parts
to dealers and installers? There are a few good distributors. Shop around.
Here's a partial list of what to expect from a good distributor. I'm sure you
and other wrenches can add to this list.
Best regards,
Joel Davidson

Does your distributor:
1. not sell to your customers?
2. give you the same pricing and terms as other customers your size?
3. not sell to inexperienced and incompetent resellers?
4. support for your efforts?
5. work with you to develop and expand your business?
6. provide product, technical, marketing and sales training?
7. give you referrals?
8. advertise in your territory and support your advertising?
9. not set up competition in your territory?
10. not change policies at his convenience?
11. change prices without notice?
12. not stock what you need?
13. not make accurate and on-time deliveries?
14. only call you when he wants you to buy something?
15. tell the truth?
16. know that ultimately you sign his paycheck?
17. respect you?
18. not make accounting mistakes?
19. correct mistakes promptly?
20. partner with you on major projects?
21. understand technically what he sells?

Ray Walters wrote:

> I wanted to stay out of this, but .... I just met with my distributor who I
> have been loyally buying from for over 6 years. What does that kind of long
> term relationship get you? Pricing above the .coms, and worst: they're
> supplying my local competition including dangerously incompetent installers
> and mega discounters selling at my cost.
> Meanwhile, I have been foolishly trying to offer my customers top quality
> design, installation, service, and education.The super discounting is way
> worse than keeping me from being competitive; it creates bad will. All my
> efforts to win my customer's trust dissolve when that customer thinks that
> I over charged them.
> I don't have a problem with solar panels selling for $3.25/ watt. Lower
> prices are accelerating the growth of our industry and making solar more
> competitive with fossil fuels. We, the wrenches simply need a reasonable
> margin to cover our contribution to the sell.
> The solution to this was addressed previously:
> 1) establish firm chains of distribution with fair profit margins for all,
> 2) limit discount advertising,
> 3) thoroughly train and certify dealers,
> 4) set dealers up with separate sells territories.
> 5) refer business from a national advertising campaign to the local dealer.
> (Hmmm, sounds like other businesses.)
> We the wrenches can only complain, but the manufacturers and their
> distributors hold the future integrity of the solar business in their hands.
>
> Ray
>
> ray at solarray.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com