Marketing Issue [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Mon May 19 08:52:49 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Matt,
Assume nothing. While I live and work in CA, there are NO rebates up
this-a-way. The great majority of my work is offgrid and I buy
pre-packaged NOTHING. I've always maintained that I can put the
individual components on the wall, get paid my full rate to do so and
still save my clients $$. Offgrid systems usually have more
components by far than on grid anyway.
Apparently, you are stuck in an area where there is much competition
for the work and y'all have gone to cookie-cutter systems to compete
with Home Depot or something. Welcome to California where you can get
a license to do PV work for box tops. Is it any wonder that the CEC
is contemplating requiring NABCEP certification to try and swing the
rudder back? An A or B licensee able to install PV? Sheer stupidity.
Even so, if I use your example, you are seeing half your profit
coming from the parts. That's far cry from what Joel is proposing.
Best, Bob-O

>Jeez-0, Bob-0, profits in the hundreds for a decent sized system? Thousands
>for the components? I suppose that depends on what kind of system it is
>you're talking about. In our ground mount systems, the installation profits
>often equal or exceed the materials profit. I assume you must be using
>pre-packaged
>systems applied to a "standard" comp shingle roof to have such a dismal
>installation margin.
>
>With profits on equipment ranging from 20 to 33% on a 2500 Watt system and
>an installation cost of around $10. per Watt, things seem to be pretty even
>to me.
>
>Matt T

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com