Outback 48V/ Intertie? [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Fri May 16 07:22:57 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi Chris,

Thanks so for the thorough update.  And you know we are behind you
100% - not pressuring - and trusting that you guys have to ramp up at
your own pace that ultimately is good for everybody.  Keep up the
good work!

If we quote and/or install a unit now, can we also promise our
customers an upgrade path to intertie?  Can that be priced now?  Is
it just a board change out?  Mate software upgrade?  What will that
look like?

Thanks again and congrats on the successful launch of Outback!

Jeff

>Jeff Clearwater wrote:
>
>>  What's the time frame looking like for the intertie models?  48
>Volt models?
>
>Sorry for the delay in replying back on this question -
>
>The 48 vdc version of the FX inverter/chargers have started shipping
>already.  Most of the inverter production runs in May are of the FX2548
>model (2.5 kW / 48 vdc - same chassis as FX2024).
>
>As far as the linetie versions - we're working on it...
>
>There are actually two hurdles involved in the linetie - the first is
>passing the UL tests - which we are now completely setup to run here at
>our shop in Arlington instead of having to go out to Chicago.
>
>The second one is being able to build enough inverters to meet both the
>off-grid and grid-tie market demand.  The current off-grid/back-up
>FX2024 and FX2548 models are selling very well (thanks to all) and we
>are just barely keeping up with the demand. We are increasing the
>production on the inverters 33% next month - but with the season hitting
>its peak we expect the demand for the existing models to us up most of
>this increase.
>
>Also, the sales of the MX60 PV MPPT charge controllers - which are a key
>part of our grid-tie "system" - has also been very strong.  We are
>increasing the production of the MX60 by 25% next month to hopefully
>catch up with the orders on hand.
>
>So - I view that getting the listing for line-tie usage and not being
>able to meet the demand is about the same as not having it done at all -
>either way the customer is not happy.  We also don't want to put the
>customers planning for and ordering the off-grid/back-up versions to
>suddenly find that nothing is available because we have switched all of
>the production to the line-tie versions....
>
>So - Our current guess at when we will have volume production quantities
>of the line-tie FX inverters is August.  This should allow us to ramp
>production levels higher and meet both market's demands.
>
>Christopher Freitas
>OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
>cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
>Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village

877-SOLARVillage
PO Box 115
Boonville, CA 95415

61 Baker Rd