Outback 48V/ Intertie? [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu May 15 22:23:35 PDT 2003

Jeff Clearwater wrote:

> What's the time frame looking like for the intertie models?  48
Volt models?

Sorry for the delay in replying back on this question -

The 48 vdc version of the FX inverter/chargers have started shipping
already.  Most of the inverter production runs in May are of the FX2548
model (2.5 kW / 48 vdc - same chassis as FX2024).

As far as the linetie versions - we're working on it...

There are actually two hurdles involved in the linetie - the first is
passing the UL tests - which we are now completely setup to run here at
our shop in Arlington instead of having to go out to Chicago.

The second one is being able to build enough inverters to meet both the
off-grid and grid-tie market demand.  The current off-grid/back-up
FX2024 and FX2548 models are selling very well (thanks to all) and we
are just barely keeping up with the demand. We are increasing the
production on the inverters 33% next month - but with the season hitting
its peak we expect the demand for the existing models to us up most of
this increase.

Also, the sales of the MX60 PV MPPT charge controllers - which are a key
part of our grid-tie "system" - has also been very strong.  We are
increasing the production of the MX60 by 25% next month to hopefully
catch up with the orders on hand.

So - I view that getting the listing for line-tie usage and not being
able to meet the demand is about the same as not having it done at all -
either way the customer is not happy.  We also don't want to put the
customers planning for and ordering the off-grid/back-up versions to
suddenly find that nothing is available because we have switched all of
the production to the line-tie versions....

So - Our current guess at when we will have volume production quantities
of the line-tie FX inverters is August.  This should allow us to ramp
production levels higher and meet both market's demands.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA