Power factor issues [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Wed May 14 23:01:49 PDT 2003

Allan,

All the PV books and training I have seen use Watts to calculate loads on
inverters. I think this is the wrong way to do it if you are considering
power handling capability.

An inverter is a Volt-Amp device, not a Watt device. Measuring the effect of
a CFL should be done by using a good true RMS current meter (like a fluke
87) and multiplying the current by the voltage (volt-amps). Devide the Watt
draw by the Volt-amp draw and that will be the power factor for the
non-sinusoidal load. This is not a displacement power factor issue like with
a motor load--the load has a very weird current waveform. Computers also
have terrible non-sinusoidal waveforms. A 300-Watt computer power supply can
draw up to 500 Volt-amps.

Don't know if this helps.

Bill.