6" poles [RE-wrenches]

mlafferty at universalenergies.com mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Tue Apr 29 14:33:16 PDT 2003

Allan Wrote:

>  6" rigid conduit is Sch. 40 pipe, it's way cheaper, it's galvanized,
and the electrical wholesaler will deliver it
>  for free. Weight is still 179 lbs., so careful!

Wrenches:

Per Allan's post, the Rigid Conduit he has scouted would have the same
characteristics (leaving out the Welded Seam details) as Sch. 40 Galvy.
(As witnessed by the weight reference)

Beware of letting a counter-guy/gal at an Electrical Wholesale House
lead you into thinking IMC (Intermediate Metallic Conduit) is the same
as Rigid....They both have the same threads, come in 10' lengths
standard, and meet the criteria of most Electrical Specs for Threaded
Steel Conduit.

The primary difference between the two is that IMC has a significantly
thinner wall, lower weight....And a lot lower structural value.

Oh, did I mention the price?  IMC is a LOT less expensive when you get
into the larger sizes.  An inexperienced Counterperson might not realize
there is any difference in the two when you call for a quote and give
you a price for the IMC because it's cheaper.

They are NOT the same.  Do NOT use the same bending values for the two!

Rigid Conduit is comparable to Sch 40 Galvy.  I am comfortable with
using Sch 40 Galvy values with either Sch 40 or Rigid.

Just looking out for all of us....

Matt Lafferty
Universal Energies Institute
mlafferty at universalenergies.com