Trouble shooting Trace 2512 [RE-wrenches]

Nick Nicholas, APS APS at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Thu Apr 10 23:11:40 PDT 2003

Hi Max:
    I have seen this error a number of times with the Trace Inverters.  On
the newest GTI enabled inverters, the error said "input relay error", but
this commonly meant that the software needed upgrading (2nd 4.2 revision).
However, twice I have seen a situation were the relay on the inverter gets
stuck closed, and the utility or generator (AC1 in or AC2 in) is feeding AC
voltage to Inverter Output while the inverter is on.  This can be much worse
that an over current condition.  Both times that I have seen this, I was
able to clear the error condition by opening the battery/inverter disconnect
for 5 minutes.  Hopefully, you have called Xantrex at 360-435-8826.  If you
have, then you may have heard this already.
Nick
Alternative Power Systems
www.alternativepowersystems.com
aps at sbcglobal.net
135 Colfax Ave.
Grass Valley, CA 95945
(530) 274-0588 phone
(530) 274-0589 fax
----- Original Message -----
From: "Max Balchowsky" <max at seesolar.com>
To: <RE-wrenches at topica.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 10:33 AM
Subject: Trouble shooting Trace 2512 [RE-wrenches]

I received this e-mail last week - I just got back in town and am going to
contact this person to go troubleshoot her system. I've not had much time
with trace equip and would welcome any comments on her situation before I go
to the site........

Max
See Systems
760-403-6810

I have added a new 100 amp service on the house. It was brought into the
outdoor meter and panel and has the required shutoff for my solar panels at
the outside. The electric comes in through the attic to my house sub panel.
This panel originally had a 60 amp and a 20 amp breaker in it, so far as I
recall, and I added 3 more breakers fairly recently. The solar panel
electric generated drops down into a service disconnect box, then to a Trace
C60 controller, then to the 250 DC disconnect, then to the (4) - 220 amp hr
6 Volt sealed batteries wired for 12 Volts, and to the inverter. The
inverter is wired to the subpanel and also to it's own service disconnect
box. The subpanel is wired over to the main panel so that is where the solar
panel energy is fed back into the grid if the sun is shining on the panels
sufficiently. The solar panels are 12 Volt - 6 100 WATT Photowatts and two
105 WATT Photowatts, made by the French Company Matrix. The inverter is a
Trace SW2512, which passed all of DWP's tests after it was installed. I got
my rebate last year ok, etc. There was no islanding and it was capable of
the inter

Here's what happened. My system was put in over a year ago and has operated
pretty much fine (to the best of my knowledge). However, I added three new
breakers to my house electrical panel which already had one 20 amp breaker
and a 60 amp breaker which goes to the three subpanel breakers that are fed
by the solar system. I also rough wired in for some new outlets and lights
when I added the new breakers. These weren't drawing any electric until
yesterday. That's when my plumber moved my electric washer and gas dryer and
installed one duplex receptacle for these appliances to one of the new
outlet locations. I turned off the breakers, but then he said the wires were
still live, so I turned off the solar system too. When I turned things back
on, I noticed the Overcurrent Error light on. I followed directions to use
the red and green buttons to navigate to the Inverter menu and select to
have the Inverter be off. That cleared the Overcurrent Error light, but made
the Error light go on. I read that I needed to go to the Error Menu to find
the problem. I did that and the Error is that "AC source wired to output".
I'm not sure of what this means.

Could it be that when I added breakers to the house panel, somehow something
was wired improperly for my system? or could I have shorted something out
and now that is creating the problem? We did run the washer awhile yesterday
to make sure that it worked and drained and so forth, and I'm sure it
generates a large load on the system. I thought it is on a separate
dedicated circuit, but maybe something isn't set up right somehow. I have to
grade midterms right now and won't really get much free time very soon since
school resumes Monday for another 8 weeks. can you schedule a visit to solve
my problem. Do you think I've damaged my inverter system??

Susan

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com