AC circulator vs. PV driven DC [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Wed Apr 9 21:52:01 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
>Peter,
>
>If we had great DC pumps, I *might* go along with the DC recommendations in
>this climate, but probably not.
>
>We've gone almost totally away from the DC pumps. Either too small (ElSid
>10) or too noisy (Hartell), or too much maintenance (March). Perhaps the
>Dankoff are better, but they are still brushed pumps, and at 12V, do not
>have great brush life. ....
>Jeff

Please allow me to correct you about the SunCentric. It's nothing
like the little March brush-motor pumps. It's massive, and much
slower speed, with brushes that are over an inch long.

Different models run at different speeds, so the product specs give a
guide to estimating the brush life. On some models, it's over 10
years in PV-direct application in a sunny climate.

It's an offshoot of the original line made for irrigation and such. I
figured why not set them up to run slower and use them as
circulators. Our web site has a case study of a system set up at the
Midwest Renewable Energy Assn headquarters.

Pardon the shameless promotion.

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com