AC circulator vs. PV driven DC [RE-wrenches]

Jeffery Wolfe, Global Resource Options jeff at globalresourceoptions.com
Wed Apr 9 19:08:38 PDT 2003

Peter,

If we had great DC pumps, I *might* go along with the DC recommendations in
this climate, but probably not.

We've gone almost totally away from the DC pumps. Either too small (ElSid
10) or too noisy (Hartell), or too much maintenance (March). Perhaps the
Dankoff are better, but they are still brushed pumps, and at 12V, do not
have great brush life. And who needs to remember to get the brushes replaced
BEFORE the collector stagnates?

Yes, AC grid failure can result in a problem with an AC powered pump running
off an AC powered diff temp controller. Guess we've found that to be less of
a problem than the DC pump non-power, PV panel covered by snow, PV panel
clear/solar thermal collector covered by snow, flat plate panel running at
low startup temps while full sun is on the PV, etc. problems.

Certainly for a larger system, getting enough DC pumping will be a
challenge, unless the tank and pumps are right at the collectors. This will
result in a "small plethora" of DC pumps and PV's. Just seems simpler to put
in an AC pump. And then when the unskilled plumber goes to "fix" it in 5
years, he'll have a clue. (Not an unimportant consideration.)

Enjoy spring!?

Jeff