Edison Fees [RE-wrenches]

Pat Redgate solarpro at aol.com
Sat Apr 5 10:16:32 PST 2003

Don:

Thanks for the clarification on Exit fees vs Connection charges vs Green tag
benefits.

At the time in December when I got first wind (more like foul odor) of
connection charges, I felt that a one time PV fee of say $25 was reasonable
in view of their administrative costs...  We all know utilities have HUGE
administrative overheads.

I soon discovered the utilities were planning to assume green tags as a well
as institute exit fees.  It all seemed like a plot and the timing was
reflective of an effort by these quasi-governmental entities to overload the
PV industry with mundane and incidental charges that would eventually sink
our ship.  In discussions with other members of this industry, many cooler
heads than mine were advising restraint.. advice given somewhat along the
line: "we should work with the utilities behind the scenes" rather than to
invoke a jihad and to enlist the media in an attempt to alert the public to
this concerted effort to bugger the solar industry.  When efforts along the
line of rapprochement seemed to be failing, myself and others started
broadcasting through the web and with letters detailing the utilities'
actions.  It kinda snowballed and resulted in the CPUC being overrun with
protests which I think resulted in the decision on April 3rd.  Don't ya just
love the internet?!

I realize that there may be some backlash by the utilities, and it is
possible that the cooler heads may have been right.  But in a battle against
the "status quo" we cannot win unless we enlist those groups and individuals
who support this industry.  The big boys in the energy business have hired
guns, bigger guns, better guns.  They know how politics work and can
influence legislation in ways we can't even imagine.  Just about THE ONLY
weapon in our arsenal is the continued public support we enjoy, and I think
we are fools not to use it when we need help.

This is NOT just another California PV issue.

Patrick A. Redgate
AMECO
Long Beach, CA
(562) 595-9570